19 May 2007

Skirts

When I was in fifth grade, my parents got a call from my teacher. It seems I was distracting the class by spinning in circles up to the pencil sharpener during the middle of class. To this day, I can't quite comprehend why my defense that "I just wanted my skirt to twirl out around me" was not a valid one. I have always loved a good skirt - obviously, the twirlier, the better. Here are some of my favourites from Nordstrom.com:

Elie Tahari 'Gavrielle' Skirt - $348

Inverted pleats and a bubble hem shape a light cotton-and-silk skirt with an antique-inspired print.

cotton/silk











Susina® Print Voile Skirt - $38

Full, supercute skirt is ruched in back for added comfort.

cotton












AK Anne Klein Eyelet Border Skirt - $99

Inverted pleats lend fullness to a skirt with a pretty scalloped hem.

cotton












Semantiks Embroidered Skirt - $78

Embroidery highlights a pretty floral skirt, gathered for fullness.

cotton












Nine West Voile Embroidered Skirt - $99

Paneled A-line skirt segues to cutout details, accented with a sheer mesh hem.

cotton











Esprit Belted Skirt - $69.50

Allover contrast stitching adds vertical detail to a cotton skirt, topped with a pretty embroidered belt.

cotton











Roberto Cavalli Bijou Print Matte Jersey Skirt - $1495

no description

viscose rayon/elastic












Points to ponder for the pear shaped woman (as I am the pear poster child):
  1. An A-line skirt will usually look better than a straight skirt.
  2. Flare at the hem helps to balance the hips.
  3. Keep the waist and upper hip region smooth to minimize bulkiness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm a pear, and I never wear A-lines. I look much better in skirts that hand straight down from the fullest part of my hips, or peg in a little towards the knees then flare out again.