9 June 2007

Simplicity 4045 - Dress

Pattern: Simplicity 4045 - view A - dress















Size: This pattern comes in sizes 6 to 14 - I made size 6 in the bust and waist and expanded out to a 10 for the hips (I do not like a 'too clingy' bias cut dress - it tends to emphasize scary things on my lower half).

Fabric: Cocoa linen/rayon blend from Timmel Fabrics.










Project Photo
:
Comments: I was looking for a spring/summer dress to make for work. Since I had already made the skirt and had the pattern out, I figured I would give the dress a try. The cut and style of the dress, although quite simple, really appealed to me. I really like raglan sleeves - I find they give me a broader line across my shoulders, which helps to balance out my hips.

Putting the dress together was easy - no need to even look at the instructions. I added a decorative stitch around the sleeve cuffs to jazz the dress up a bit (and to test out some of the stitches on my new machine). As with any bias cut garment, I allowed the dress to hang for 2 days before hemming the skirt.

Conclusion: Although I like this dress, I don't think I'll be making another one - I have so many other patterns that are screaming my name right now. However, I do plan on making the top in the near future.

4 comments:

Vicki said...

It is fun to try out the stitches on your machine. I like the pink with the brown. Will you accessorise with pink?

Tany said...

It looks awesome! I like what you did with the sleeves, I might try that myself in the near future!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You really worked this pattern Shannon ~ getting maximum mileage from it. Now to ask the dreaded question ~ will we see pics of you in them soon? I know, I know but I gotta ask!

Erica Bunker said...

Great looking dress and I love the decorative stitching on the sleeve. I'm with Carolyn, will we see you modeling?