24 August 2009

Lacquer Lundi

Hi Folks, I'm back! Last week my husband was off on vacation, so a little blogging break was in order. But, things have returned to normal around chez HCZ, so I'm back to the regularly scheduled program.

So, on to the pretties:

Sally Hansen Salon - Honeydew & Nfu Oh - #52
- Sally Hansen purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $5.49 CDN
- Nfu Oh purchased at fabuloustreet.com for $8.50 US

Honeydew is another Tiffany-esque blue (although it is a darker blue than China Glaze For Audrey - see prior link for review) and it is quite a striking colour. It applied well (although the consistency of the polish was a bit thick, but nothing a bit of thinner can't clear up). I required two coats for opacity.

Over Honeydew, I applied two coats of Nfu Oh #52, which has a navy base and turquoise flakies. It is simply stunning and it elevates this manicure to a whole new level. I could not stop staring at my hands for the two days I wore these polishes. In that time, I only had tip wear.




Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Xtreme Wear - Plum Power
- purchased at Rexall (chain drug store) for $2.95 CDN

I always gravitate to this reddish purple colour - it draws me in like a moth to a flame. I'm powerless to resist - so powerless apparently that I am now the proud owner of two bottles of essentially the same colour. But, here's the kicker - the two bottles are not the same - one is SHHANXW Plum Power and the other is SHID Pronto Purple (see review below). Okay, there is some slightly perceptible differences that exist, but it's pretty subtle - I think Plum Power is a smidgen brighter and more reddish.

The formula of Plum Power is great - excellent consistency and easy to manipulate. It required only two coats for opacity. I had only tip wear after two days.


Sally Hansen Insta Dri - Pronto Purple
- purchased at Zehrs (chain grocery store) for $5.99 CDN

Although I love this colour, I am annoyed that I basically bought it twice, rather than spending my money on a unique colour I don't own. I will acquiesce that the Insta Dri Pronto Purple version does dry faster. So, if you like this colour and enjoy the extra large brush (I spoke about the brush in greater detail here) that comes with this product, than purchase the Insta Dri version over the Xtrme Wear version.

Pronto Purple applied well, covered in two coats and dried quickly. I only had tip wear after two days.








L'Oreal - Yellow Buzz & Nfu Oh - #57
- purchased at Shoppers (chain drug store) for $5.99 CDN
- Nfu Oh purchased at fabuloustreet.com for $8.50 US

I enjoy a good yellow nail polish. It's fun and funky and really like the way most yellows look with my skin tone. However, finding a good yellow polish is difficult - yellow polishes, almost without exception, tend to be chalky and difficult to apply without streaks and spotty coverage. Unfortunately, Yellow Buzz falls into this category. Although, I love the colour, it was a PITA to apply. The polish was a tad thick and the first coat went on lumpy, chunky and gooey. The second coat helped to smooth things out, but it didn't make the polish opaque. So, a third coat was needed and I still have streakiness and slight bald spots.

The Nfu Oh, on the other hand, applied quite nicely. With the bright green translucent base, the orange flakies and the lime shimmer, #57 is a gorgeous polish. I can't imagine wearing it alone (too sheer), but as a topper over another polish, it is a winner!

5 comments:

Rose said...

Hope you had a fun week with hubbie. Those are pretty colors. Ohhh..I love the blues!

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

Love those two topper polishes with all the sparkles! I'm a sucker for turquoise too.

sz said...

Have you found any yellow polish that applies well? I have the same issues with the yellows, and it drives me nuts!

Rachel said...

Love the Pronto Purple!!!

Carol said...

Love that yellow!