12 July 2011

Evolution of a Sewing Room - Part 3

Let there be light!

The electrician installed the lighting in my sewing room yesterday.  When choosing the fixtures, I wanted a good balance between aesthetics and practicality.  There is nothing more frustrating than trying to unpick thread in a dimly lit room.  Likewise, tracing a pattern without enough ambient light is annoying too.  But, I wanted something pretty, not just utilitarian.

In the centre of the main portion of the room (where my machines will be located), there is a three light semi-flushmount fixture from Progress Lighting's Madison collection, in the antique bronze finish.


The other fixture, a three light chandelier which will hang over my cutting table, is from the same collection.


Both lights were ordered from Home Depot.  I have to say I was wary of ordering lighting online from Home Depot (since I couldn't see the product before hand), but these fixtures are quite nice at a decent price.

Now all I need is trim and doors.  Yowza!

9 comments:

tarabu said...

awesome - the vicarious joy of watching your sewing room come together is unparalleled!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I have to say that I look forward to these posts in the same way I use to wait for a new garment post from you. Can you tell that I'm thrilled for you!

Lindacakes said...

The progress is just great! I am very happy for you and thank you for inspiring me.

kbenco said...

This is getting very exciting. These are very cool lights, much prettier than most super illumination.

Anonymous said...

This room will be wonderful when it is done.

We're moving into our first home on Thursday and I get to a sewing room. I can't wait to work on it (and in it!).

a little sewing said...

I like those lighting choices very much! This is fun to follow along.

a little sewing said...

What color did you paint the walls? It looks really nice. Neutral but not boring.

Andrea said...

I've been enjoying your new house posts -- I used to love visiting houses under construction in my neighborhood as a kid. (Where I live now, they're a little too good about locking them up -- boo hoo!) Anyhow, those are really cool light fixtures, especially the one for over the cutting table. Have you thought about what your first project in your new sewing room will be?

gMarie said...

Those fixtures are fabulous. Can't wait until you are moved in, unpacked and sewing again! g